Fairest - Marissa Meyer

Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?   Fans of the Lunar Chronicles know Queen Levana as a ruler who uses her "g...

Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?
 
Fans of the Lunar Chronicles know Queen Levana as a ruler who uses her "glamour" to gain power. But long before she crossed paths with Cinder, Scarlet and Cress, Levana lived a very different story - a story that has never been told...until now.
 
This book has been on my wishlist ever since it was announced. I am absolutely in love with the Lunar Chronicles, and funnily enough, it's the only series I've kept up with as it's been released. As I have mentioned before, I am currently travelling around Australia so don't want to be carrying books, so when Fairest was first released I was super excited to get it on my Kindle, only to find it wasn't available. Six months later, after searching on Amazon whenever I thought about it, I finally purchased and read this wonderful book. Definitely worth the wait!
 
Let's get straight into the nitty gritty. This book didn't have a very deep or developed plot line, it was more focussed in on the inner workings of Levana and why she is the way she is in the previous books as this is a prequel novella to the series as such, I'd say. However, I'm extremely surprised that I was so enthralled by a book with no plot as I was with this one.
 
Fairest gives you a raw outlook of what life was like for Levana growing up. She was treated extremely poorly by her older sister Channery and never received any kind of affection from her parents either from what I gather. All Levana ever wanted was to be loved and wanted and to not be lonely. At one point I felt as though the point of this book was for us, as the reader, to sympathise with Levana - I did feel that way for a good five minutes before I realised what a dark twisted bitch she is. I loved reading her unspoken thoughts about everything. The way she would try to justify every single dark thought she had in her own mind. It just proved how crazy she was.
 
Despite hating her, I still loved reading about her and actually wished this book was a little longer as I'm extremely intrigued and always love reading from antagonists point of view as everything isn't always what it seems. Sometimes it's refreshing to get the other side of the story rather than the "manufactured" one from the good guys perspective.
 
Marissa Meyer, I bow down to your genius in creating the most amazing and underlyingly complex characters that can provoke so many different emotions in one sitting. I don't know how you do it, and sometimes I worry that you actually created Levana and her twisted ways in the first place.

Rating: ★★★★

(Pst, I resisted reading the excerpt from Winter so as to wait until it's actual release date)
 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images