Cover Lover: Red

I absolutely LOVE cover design and I wanted to highlight some of my favourite and not so favourite covers out there. In order to put some ...

I absolutely LOVE cover design and I wanted to highlight some of my favourite and not so favourite covers out there. In order to put some kind of order to this I have decided to section off the covers into different themes.
 
The Book Of Lost Things by John Connolly
I love the intricacy of this design. The vines that are winding their way through the typography are something that you need to look closely at; there are little details in there that you don't see every time you look at it (unless you're studying it intently of course) - there are lanterns, elves and keys hidden in there but they are being camouflaged with the shubbery of the tree as well. This book revolves around a dark fairytale so this effect definitely fits with the theme of the book. The added silver on the cover adds another magical element as well and if you have the physical copy of the book (which I don't have on me at the moment) you will see that the silver is made of a foil of sorts and actually shines in the light.
 
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
Simplicity is the theme in this cover design and sometimes it's the simplest designs that are the best. The bright red and the bold, large, sans serif font really make the design anyways. There's the added symbol of the dodo which does relate to the book, but not so much that it would give anything away about the plot or give away any spoilers. In fact, the Dodo in my eyes just symbolises the hilarity of the book as who would think of a dodo riding a scooter anyways. It's bold, bright, and beautiful and sometimes that's all you need.
 
The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt
This cover is all about trickery of pictures and symbolism - you have the two simple shapes in the front that symbolise the two brothers, and if you look closely, the heads of these figures also create the eyes of a skull in the background. I love the two forms of the brothers - you don't need to have a picture of an actual person to realise what they are, as sometimes shapes are all that are needed to portray what is needed. It looks like quite a complicated cover but in actuality it's quite simple and just made up of shapes. Again, simple wins the day.
 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images